Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Chaos Reigns

My mom was here less than a day when she made the observation that I cannot do just one thing.  I must multi-task.  Not because I need to, but because I am used to it. 
This includes eating.  While chowing down on a meal, I am either on the phone or reading a book.  Occasionally I eat on the go, grazing while I do a more “important” task. 
My jefa called bullshit on me.  She told me to stop and smell the roses.  Sit and enjoy your repast.  Taste the food.  This made me stop and think - I couldn’t remember the last time I actually just sat and ate!
Today’s mission: do nothing but eat a meal in peace.  Easier said than done, right?  I prepared myself a bowl of cantaloupe and strawberries plus half a whole grain bagel.  I was at the table expecting something to happen…nothing.
I did not experience food nirvana.  There was not anything special about the meal except that it was not rushed.  I ate at my leisure and tasted every morsel.  No over-eating since I was not shoveling crap in my mouth.  
However, I kept thinking of all the things I could be doing.  The unfinished book was staring me in the face, the remote was calling my name with series still in progress, the computer was begging for my fingers to type away and all that laundry…GRRR.
I resisted the urge to do more than one thing, but my mind was definitely jumping between various thoughts.  Maybe this relaxing stuff will come when I am older, but for now, chaos reigns.

No comments:

Post a Comment