Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

I'm really good at waiting until the last minute to do things.  I wake up late in the morning in order to get the most amount of sleep as possible.  I pick out my clothes in the morning because who knows what the weather is going to be like.  I sign all my kids' stuff in the car on the way to school.  Groceries are bought on a daily basis to have dinner made with fresh ingredients.  Now I'm writing my last blog post of 2010 with a little over an hour before I welcome the New Year.  I hear there's a name for this condition: procrastination.


What a dirty word!  Ushering in 2011 with the hopes of slaying this evil beast would add a gold star to my organization chart, but really, do I have time?  No.  Some might argue I don't have the time because I procrastinate, but a mom's (and dad's) work is never done.  There's meals, bills, homework, sports & countless other things to do around the house that take up precious time.  God forbid you should be sick.  That doesn't give you an out as a parent...unless you have awesome kids.


I do have awesome kids.  I've been suffering from sinus crap all week.  Today it hit me hard.  I slept all day, getting up only for meals made and brought to me by my loved ones.  After showering me with love and getting some rest, I do  feel better and have hope of making it to the 12:00 A.M. digital display on the T.V.


Point of this story?  Resolutions don't work.  You have high hopes and then end up crushed when they don't pan out.  Instead, focus on little things throughout the year.  Once put together they make a big difference.  My "resolution" of the last couple of years have been to be healthier and not procrastinate.  I've changed my diet, lost weight (and kept it off), and been more active.  All this lead to better lab results each year I had a physical. 


As for resolution #2?  Well, we can't have it all.  My not doing anything all day today let's me have some quality time with my family tonight to enjoy the New Year.  Who could ask for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment