Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Faith

“Hello, my name is Monica, and I am unemployed.  It has been six months since I held my last job…” 
I cannot believe it has been that long.

Not that I have been idle, far from it.  Going to school, applying for work, taking care of my kids and my health has all taken a toll.

The picture could not be painted more clearly: Yes, the economy DOES suck.

However, life could not be better.

When I was little, my mom used to always say, “God does not give you more than you can handle.”  I don’t think that is necessarily true.  I believe God hands you the tools to endure life’s tribulations.  But as with everything, we have a choice as to what decision we will make. 

I am not going to lie.  When I discovered my unemployment compensation ran out this past weekend, I was incredibly worried.  How were we going to pay rent? Eat? Have enough gas to get to where we needed to be? Pay electricity?  Afford prescriptions?  WHY ME???  I wallowed in self-pity.

Then, I snapped out of it.  I started making a plan.  Our family had survived on one income in the past, even less than now, so I knew we could do it again.  Sacrifices needed to be made, but starvation and homelessness would not be the end result.

I do spend an incredible chunk of my time with my children, and since they are my most precious gifts, I am content.  The time will soon come when their friends will seem to know everything, so now is the time for me to impart all my wisdom.  They seem to be asking a lot of me lately, so perhaps staying home is a good idea for now. 

I have accepted where I am, but that does not mean I have settled.  I am thankful for the opportunities time off has afforded me.  While schoolwork (and housework – BARF) rule my life, and I have not received as many call backs for jobs as I am accustomed to, I figure it is all in God’s plan.  And I am okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment