Saturday, April 7, 2012

National Library Week: April 8-15

One of my favorite things to do in all the spare time I have is read. 

If there is such a thing, I have way too many books in my possession.  Besides 2 bookcases, I also have several piles of TBR (to-be-read) books around our space-challenged apartment, a couple boxes in the garage (which I frequent to rotate the ones in the bookcase), not to mention all the ones I purchase for my children.  

I am also the proud owner of a Nook Tablet, a Christmas present from my husband.  I believe his hope was that my book hoarding would dwindle.  His plan has been unsuccessful thus far.  I frequent way too many secondhand bookstores to not take advantage of their steep discounts.  Even with the bookstore discount card, I find that I can get ADDITIONAL books digitally without taking up too much space.  Score!

I have loved books ever since I was able to escape to their dream worlds.  I was not always as lucky as I am now; I did not have the means to amass books as a youngster.  I scoured as many yard sales as I could to get my Sweet Valley High and Baby-Sitters Club series.  That was never enough.  My local library, however, had unlimited reading material for me to peruse.

I was there every Tuesday and Thursday without fail after my discovery.  Whether it was to study or just read, the place held many wonders for me.  Why not take a moment to visit your local library? There are many resources besides "just books" housed there.  Go out and sign up for a library card.  This coming week is a good time to start if you haven't visited your local library. 

April 8-14, 2011 is National Library Week.  I am going to try my best to post something library/book related every single day next week.  Tall order, I know.  But what better way to pay homage to a library that gave me so much?  I can't think of anything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment