Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chores

Cleaning the house is a most horrendous chore.  It doesn't help when no one wants to do their share.  I'm the first to admit wanting a maid.  How heavenly would that be?  Then again, my most hated chore is laundry, and having someone else wash my chonies doesn't sit with me so well! 

Sigh.  Besides not wanting someone else in my unmentionables, the thought of paying them for my feeling lazy keeps me from going there.  Poof! The dream of the housemaid gone.  I am no way saying that those who have a housekeeper are lazy.  Most just don't have the time to get around to the cleaning.  The little money I do have, I'm not spending on a maid - I'd rather put towards seasons of Doctor Who!  (If you don't know what that is, look it up NOW).

Then there is CHILDREN.  Getting them to clean up after themselves is HARD.  Throw their ungrateful butts in the mix and you have chaos.  There are suggestions and materials out there to help you get your kids on track: chore charts with rewards/consequences.  Of course, if I stuck to my guns better I wouldn't be in the predicament I am now, with children who swear it's their siblings turn to do the dishes.

Everyone has jobs they have to do, but sports and other activities throw mud into my well-oiled machine.  It's so easy to say, "Okay, it's late, let's just all go to bed."  If I'm feeling like I've been slacking in the mom department, it's just as easy to put housework aside and spend fun time with my kids.  If that happens though, no one picks up the slack.  I have essentially created the monster, and now it's time to slay it.

I've gone on strike a couple of times, and that has worked only so long.  I have a new plan of action.  The chores will still be there, just adding a few new rules and sticking to my guns.  Wish me luck!  Once my kids figure out what's to come of it, I am not going to be their favorite person!

No comments:

Post a Comment