Monday, April 4, 2011

Bullies

It is amazing to me the lengths that people go to in order to feel good about themselves.  We all hear about the kid that picks on those smaller and weaker than him and I always tell my children the same thing: ignore the bullies and always stand up for those that are being picked on.  There is a zero tolerance for bullying in many schools, but what happens when that child becomes an adult bully?
Yes, it does happen.  While some children do grow up and realize what they did was wrong, others do not see the error of their ways.  It is an absolute crime when I look into another human’s eye and see joy at the misfortune of a fellow man.
I know there are laws against major infractions such as harassment, stalking and defamation.  However, there are those that toe the line so well as to not get into hot water. 
As an adult dealing with an adult bully, the same rules apply: ignore and defend.  It is absolutely exhausting and I cannot imagine what stress a child goes through when dealing with a bully.  As a minority, I have dealt with ignorance and stereotypes all my life.  It is never easy.
Leading by example is a great way to spearhead the war against bullying.  It is as simple as following the golden rule: treat others as you wish to be treated.  I know that is easier said than done.  It is so easy to hold a grudge against someone who has done you wrong; it takes a much bigger person to not fall to that level of hostility.
You choose whether to be happy or not.  Your smile can make someone’s day.  Your happiness may rub off on others.  Those “others” can continue the cycle.  With just little you, you can change the world.
“Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier.”  ~Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment