Thursday, May 12, 2011

Silver Lining

A new phase of life began for me on Tuesday: I once again joined the ranks of the unemployed.  This is the second time in 2 years.  Ouch.  I know the statistics.  Unemployment rates are high.   It looks like the odds are against me.  I have two choices here: I can shrivel up and succumb to depression or look for that silver lining.  I choose door #2.
However, I am human.  I was taken aback to hear of my sudden joblessness.  My first thought was ‘Really?  After all I have contributed?’ But I do have a nifty filter that stops me from blurting the reactionary thoughts, and once I thought about it, you know what?  It really is all right.
I put my all into every job I take, whether it is managing an office or running a cash register.  This job was no different.  I was given the opportunity to make change and create a more efficient way of gathering information.  I think I did too well a job! 
No job is perfect.  I was not always happy and did not agree with all decisions made.  Either way, I don’t regret my decision to take the job so soon after being let go from my previous one. 
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the company.  While all places have their ups and downs, the people I was helping are absolutely amazing.  The amount of time they had to fulfill their duties was never enough and yet they somehow managed.   It was a pleasure working alongside such a wonderful group and I will not forget them. 
I’d like to think I made an impact and left the place better than when I first arrived.  It gave me insight into what I could do in the future, and now I have a new passion to follow. 
Though I have no current prospects into a new paycheck, I do have summer to look forward to with my children and family I haven’t seen in over 10 years.  Plus, summer classes to will keep me busy and then the fall semester to flow into a new career.  Things do not look so bad after all once you look at the silver lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment