Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Unemployment: Week 2

Week 2 of unemployment has come to a close.  I have finished the deed of applying for unemployment benefits and making my first call for a paycheck to sustain my existence.

The man whom I spoke with was really depressing.  Maybe it's just my previous experience with customer service, but I could soooo tell he was reading from a script.  I know it can be really repetitive, but at least try to act like you're having a conversation with me. 

I answered his questions, and when he heard I was studying computer science...he was instantly bitter.  Apparently, he had lost his job last July to a younger, cheaper version of himself and was forced to take a job on the phone.  Ouch. 

No industry is recession-proof.  Lay-offs will happen wherever you are.  It is a little disheartening when you are laid off twice within 2 years, but you must keep on trucking.  Right now my dilemna lies in whether I should accept a full-time position (if I can find one I want), only work part-time or go full-time to school. 

I have a bit of time to dwell on this fact.  I'm leaning towards school, but it is still a hard decision to make!  Living on one paycheck is hard, but it can be done.  Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment