Thursday, January 13, 2011

Taking The Scenic Route

Sometimes, I take the scenic route home.  Since it snowed the previous night, I would like to say it’s because I wanted to see the beauty of the landscape…but in reality, I took a wrong turn.  This is something that happens to me quite often.  Monday through Friday I am fairly routine based, so anything that alters that route tends to throw me in a jumble. 

Case in point: my loop around the west shore yesterday after work.  Instead of heading home, I was to go to the grocery store to pick up ingredients for some lasagna.  Being the engaging parent that I am, I was asking my children about their day in school and wasn’t paying attention to where I was going.  I noticed last minute I was about to get on the highway to go home.  I made that split second decision to go left and ended up on the highway going the opposite direction.  Oops.

Since nothing is ever my fault, I called my husband to blame him.  If he hadn’t messed my route up, this would have never happened!  (I know it all seems to be weird logic to you men, but it totally makes sense.)  Of course, being the sane person he is, he attempts to calm me down in his passive voice, which just pisses me off more.  In my anger, I miss my exit to turn around and end up making this giant circle through THE WEST SHORE. 

There’s this imaginary divide on the Susquehanna River.  It’s a rivalry.  The east and west side of the river do not mix.  East shore folks call west shore folks snobs, west shore folks call east shore folks ghetto.  Whatever, we’re all people.  I go wherever I want BUT…I do get lost on the other side.  I don’t know it as well as my hood, thus, the scenic route home. 

Through all my panic, I eventually make it somewhere recognizable to find my way home.  I completely bypassed the grocery store – no way was I going to mess with all the inconsiderate people there.  An hour and half after my work day has ended, I hoof it up my stairs and quickly change into my comfy clothes.  As I eat my spicy chicken nuggets, I saw the silver lining to my hectic drive home: my kids were the most quiet they have ever been in the backseat of my car!

No comments:

Post a Comment